Louisiana has great job opportunities and attracts workers from all over the region. Many people commute to jobs in the state every morning from their homes in Gulfport, Picayune, Poplarville, and other Mississippi cities and towns. These employees will be relieved to know that if they're injured on the job here, they'll be covered by Louisiana's Worker's Compensation program.
Worker's Compensation Eligibility
Louisiana state law has several provisions relating to Worker's Compensation:
· Employers must provide the same Workers' Compensation coverage for all workers, regardless of where they live.
· Injured workers employed by Louisiana businesses are eligible for Workers' Compensation even if the injury occurs on an out-of-state project. If you live in Mississippi and work for a Louisiana business, and your employer sends you to another state for a project, you're still covered.
· Some industries are exempt from Workers' Compensation requirements: real estate agents, domestic workers in private homes, and farm workers, among others, are usually not covered.
Workers Compensation Benefits
Although nearly all workers in Louisiana are eligible for workers' compensation, regardless of where they live, their benefits will depend on the nature of their injuries. The most common benefits are:
· Reimbursements for medical care
· Funds to cover physical therapy or other rehabilitation services
· Disability compensation for missed earnings
· Compensation for survivors, if the accident is fatal
What to Do if You're Injured in a Workplace Accident
Louisiana workers who are injured in a workplace accident, whether they live in the state or in Mississippi, need to file a workers' compensation claim with their employer within 30 days from the date of the accident. Waiting longer can jeopardize their right to appeal if the claim is denied. If you've been injured on the job, an experienced workers' compensation attorney can help you file your claim or file an appeal or a lawsuit if your claim is denied.
Delsa Law Firm, LLC, is Here to Help
Attorney Delsa has been assisting injured Louisiana workers who live in Louisiana, Mississippi, and elsewhere for many years. He knows how the process works and can help you defend your right to receive medical benefits, payments for rehabilitation therapy, disability pay, and other workers' compensation benefits. Delsa Law Firm, LLC, is conveniently located in Slidell, near the intersection of interstates 10, 12, and 59. Call us at (985) 882-1222, or use our contact form to schedule a free, no risk consultation today. We're here to help.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment